Ratan Bagchi - November 8th, 2010
Shilaidaha is a relatively modern name; its old name was Khorshedpur. Before the Thakurs of Jorasanko acquired the village in the middle of the 19th century there stood an indigo-Kuthi reportedly built by a planter named Shelly. A deep whirlpool was formed there at the confluence of the Gadai and the Padma, and hence the village came to be known as ‘Shelly-daha’, which ultimately took the form of ‘Silaidaha’. Dwarkanath Tagore, grandfather of Rabindranath Tagore, became the owner of this zamindari in 1807 by means of a will executed in his favour by Ramlochan Tagore. Rabindranath assumed the responsibility of looking after the zamindari and came to Shilaidaha for the first time in November 1889.
Shilaidah Kuthibari is a historical place where the great universal poet and the Nobel laurate Rabindranath Tagore lived for a part of his life. Actually it is a country house which was made by the father of Rabindranath, Dwarkanath Tagore.
Rabindranath passed the important time of his carrier while staying at Shilaidah which is situated at Kumarkhali upazila of Kushtia. During this time he wrote many world famous poems and songs.