Latest News of the Week
Dear readers, The Kushtia Times, only English weekly newspaper in Khulna division is now available online on epaper version. Please stay with us. All the best. Editor-publisher

Death of a woman having baby shrouds questions

Shanaz Aman - December 3rd, 2012

Eighteen-year old Rokeya Khatun fell  sick soon after her giving birth at a baby at a hospital. She needed blood. Relatives called for her husband Wasim through mobile phone. Twenty-five old farmer Wasim ran frantically from his village, 4 kilometers off the hospital to manage blood.
But police arrested Wasim on his way to hospital on suspicious of activist of Islami Chhatra Shibir.
After 2 hours of arrest, when Wasim rushed to the hospital with handcuff, his wife Rokeya already dead leaving the baby alive.
The incident took place in Kushtia general hospital. Doctors and other officials of the hospital admitted the fact saying that Rokeya’s death was due to lack of donating blood in time.
According to hospital and victim’s relatives sources, Rokeya was admitted to Kushtia general hospital at about 10.30:pm on Tuesday. After checking, doctors fixed time at about 12.00: clock for her cesarean delivery.
Doctors took Rokeya to Operation Theater and she gage birth to a male baby at about 1.30:am.
“Doctors called us to manage blood and we phoned Wasim at the time,” Belly Khatun, sister of Wasim told the journalists at hospital.
Wasim said he started alone from his home on walk just after getting the call.
A police team from Kushtia Model Police led by Sub-Inspector Obaidul Islam intercepted him in front of Kushtia Girls College in the town at about 2.00:am.
Police asked Wasim’s whereabouts and where he was going.
Wasim told the police about his wife. “But police told me that I am a Shibir activist and I was under arrest,” Wasim told to the journalists at the hospital.
Wasim told that the police team patrolled different areas in the town with Wasim. After many a request, SI Obaidul then sent Wasim to Kushtia general hospital with a constable to check the matter. Then Wasim was handcuffed.
“I reached the hospital at about 4.45:am and managed A-positive blood from hospital blood bank exchanging my B-positive,” Wasim told. The blood was injected into Rokeya’s body at about 5.20: am and she  died at about 5.40: am, Rekha Khatun an attendance nurse told.
When Rokeya  died, her newborn baby was sleeping beside her on  the hospital bed.
Dr. Tarun Kanti Halder, sergeant of the hospital told that this death was basically due to the negligence of injecting blood.
“I urged the victim’s relatives to manage blood immediately soon after the caesarean,” Dr. Tarun told.
Dr. Azizun Nahar, Assistant Director of the hospital showing documents of the victim told the journalists that Rokeya’s death was caused due to lack of blood.  When contacted, SI Obaidul admitted the incident of arrest and told that police released him.  “After proving the matter (Rokeya’s story by Wasim) we released him at about 4.00:am, but what happened in latter I don’t know,” said SI Obaidul. Mofiz Uddin Ahmed, superintendent of police, Kushtia told that if necessary police will investigate the matter.